Monday, April 2, 2012

Unplugged at The Cove...mostly

This past weekend was a quiet one in terms of gigging, but that was good for two reasons. First, we had three gigs the previous week: the two I previously blogged about and an acoustic gig at The Cove at Southwestern University during the week. Here are some shots from that show (photo credit: Ashley Kraft):








We currently don't do a lot of weekday gigs, mainly because J and I work day jobs during the week, so weekday shows can be taxing. Also, with our current work lives, three gigs in a week is a lot, so I enjoy a weekend off after a week like that!

We also don't play a lot of acoustic gigs, but it's very cool that we have that option. For acoustic shows, we all switch to acoustic versions of our instruments, though we do prefer to have mics and be amplified if possible. We've done completely acoustic shows, but you have to work a lot harder to make enough noise, especially if you're in an environment where people are socializing, so an electrical assistance is a nice thing.

Acoustic shows are fun, though, because they allow us to mix things up a bit. We're able to do some different songs, and we can really focus on our vocals - both quieter, cleaner versions of certain songs and doing some harmonies that you might not hear in the louder rock show.

But a real attribute to those shows is Joe. He's amazing on a drum box! And it's not just the sounds he's able to make - it's his performance in getting those sounds. I wish I could sit behind him so I could watch! But I guess I'd just get distracted, and we've already covered that distraction can be a problem for me. So, I'll sacrifice my own entertainment for the good of the band. Seriously, though, if you've never seen our acoustic show, you gotta come see that boy lay it down.

The other reason it was good that we had the weekend off is that I CUT MY THUMB! Yes, the same thumb I was already having trouble with! Why do I hate my thumb?

I'm hoping to have it back in rock n' roll condition by our show on Friday (Junior's in Round Rock, 9-11 pm - come see us!). We did some practice tonight, and it went well, so I'm confident I'll be in good shape by then. But sheeeeeesh! My thumb needs to start lighting some candles or something. Or not. It'd just get burned.

3 comments:

  1. YAY! YOu were in my oooooooooold stomping grounds! Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your thumb is feeling better! Have you heard of NuSkin? It's a "liquid bandage" that really does work. You might check it out if you're still feeling pain. I don't know how healing it is, but it is protective.

    Joey rocks the drum box! When I saw ya'll at the hotel at the Domain, I was amazed at his skills. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah - I forgot about NuSkin! I should try some, because the cut still needs protection, but I'm getting tired of the bandaid action. Good idea, Laurie!

      Delete