Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"Capping" off a great weekend

So, my last post told you about our Friday, March 23 Sixth Street gig. Our other gig from this past weekend was playing the Capitol 10k. The only photo of us playing this gig that I managed to come up with is this one:


Since there are no runners in this photo, you will just have to trust me that it is, in fact, from the Cap 10 and not, say, just us set up in a parking lot somewhere for a photo op.


The photo was captured by the lovely and talented Jenna Lewis, a co-worker of Johnny's, as she ran past us in the pack. We saw a lot of folks that we knew, and that makes the gig a lot of fun - that and the costumes. If you've never heard of the Cap10, it's all Austin, with many people running in costume. I love it (that people run in costumes, not running 10 kilometers, which I would never do unless...well, I can't even imagine what it would take to get me to run 10k - that's how much I wouldn't do it).

Between looking for people we know and trying to memorize some of the great costumes so I could blog about it, I was able to stay focused on something other than the fact that we were playing two hours straight with no break AND it was a Sunday morning. When we finished at 11 a.m., I realized I had worked an entire gig before I would normally be out of my robe. So unlike Friday's gig, the distraction was actually a good thing.

At some point early on, I had the idea of writing down all the great costumes I saw when we got done so it would be easy to write about in the blog. However, I had completely forgotten about that by the time we were done, and you can't really stop every few minutes to keep writing stuff down, so I'll now have to rely on my memory, which is sad, bordering on pathetic. But here's what I remember:

Hulk Hogan (two of these)
Superman (or was it woman?)
Tim Tebow and Peyton Manning (a couple, running together - wonder if they've already split, too?)
Fire (two women dressed as fire, which means nothing without a picture - sorry)
Gumby
An Indian chief
Waldo
Bevo
A banana
Thing 1 and Thing 2 (couple running together)
A cornucopia

Gumby, in particular, got my attention because it was a head-to-toe enclosed costume, and it was actually pretty warm and humid on Sunday morning. We were sweating, and we weren't running, so I did wonder how the guy in the costume could stand what must have been a stifling outfit. As he ran past, though, I saw that the back of the costume was unzipped, so it was kind of flapping open, which was kind of a disconcerting visual. But Gumby passed out in the middle of the street would have been worse, so he did the right thing.

That's all I can remember. I know there were more costumes worth mentioning, and there were lots of tutus and hats, but my memory is pretty useless, so you'll just have to trust that the list above is not exhaustive.

I'm asking for a lot of trust in this post, aren't I?

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh...how I wanted to do the Cap10K this year! The back really put me through a loop, though, and I couldn't go...and to think I could have actually FINALLY heard you play had I gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As gig's go, this one is really demanding. At the break between songs, even a very short break, there are probably 200 to 400 people streaming past who DON'T get to see the band play, and you don't want to disappoint them! So they did a great job of moving right into the next song and playing continuously for, like Suzie said, over 2 hours straight!

      I just wish they had an award for the best band since there are several posted along the route. I know the Staylyns would take it - hands down!

      Delete