Friday, April 27, 2012

Just put that plane anywhere.

Well, the week got away from me, and I didn't get a chance to tell you about our other gig last weekend. I was pretty tired when we played, so you might have thought that I actually didn't remember it, but I DO! And it was cool.

We played a private party in Georgetown in an aircraft hangar home neighborhood. I know - what? It's a residential neighborhood where each home has its own private aircraft hangar. You read that right. Each homeowner owns his/her own plane, and they park it at their house! I didn't even know such neighborhoods existed! But when I pulled up to what looked like a normal house, there it was - a little plane parked in the back yard like that's totally normal.

One of the homeowners in this particular neighborhood is a fan of ours, and he hired us to do an acoustic show for a crawfish boil that he threw at his house. He moved the plane out of the hangar, and that's where we played.

In my zombie-like state, I forgot to take pictures, so I don't have actual proof of the plane, but Johnny had the video camera going, so we did get a little video of us playing. Here's a song from the late set, when it had gotten dark outside, so we were keepin' it romantic with some orange can lights. What I'm trying to say is the video quality is not high - we're essentially playing in a garage in low light - but I used this clip for a reason. At the 2:36 mark, something funny happens.


No one can say we're not professionals - even when we break our equipment, we keep going! And yes, the stool did break. Johnny didn't knock it over; it actually broke underneath him. With all his bouncing around, the little stool never had a chance. But he didn't miss a beat!

So, aircraft hangar neighborhood - check. You definitely meet some interesting people and see some cool stuff in this job. Up this weekend: our monthly gig on 6th Street at Lat 30 tonight and a PARADE tomorrow! For reals! We're playing in the Red Poppy Festival parade in Georgetown tomorrow morning (should we just move to Georgetown?), and I am psyched. I've never been in a parade before! There will be professional media there, so hopefully we'll make some of the "real" media, but I swear I will bring my camera just in case.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! I was thinking about how cool it is that Johnny can't keep his feet still when y'all play acoustic, and how he oughta just pop up and do his thing like the rock out gigs, when his chair broke! I think he handled it with graceful elegance. Maybe you oughta make it part of your show. Ha!

    ReplyDelete