Thursday, April 12, 2012

Steel thumbs and a day job

I had my follow-up appointment today for The Thumb. The news was good - increased flexibility and strength. So, I'm well on my way to have Manos de Acero. That's "Hands of Steel" for those of you who don't speak Spanish...go ahead and say it. It's fun. Spanish feels good when you speak it.

In other band news, there's not a lot of band news this week. We are blissfully off this weekend. And I say that not because I don't love to play, because I DO, and we did have a really great gig this past Friday at Junior's Grill and Icehouse in Round Rock (heretofore to be referred to simply as "Junior's" - you'll be in the know when I say that now), but because my day job is interfering this week and next with my music-making.


The company I work for puts on a huge conference every April, and this year, said conference is next week. So, we're up to our necks in last minute preparations this week, and I'll be gone most of next week to San Antonio for the event. Johnny kept the band calendar free this weekend to accommodate my schedule. He's cool like that.

What would be really cool, though, is not having to work a day job, because we're successful enough as musicians to pay all our bills with our music money. Will that happen? Maybe. We'd certainly like for it to. And in this town, in this day and age, with technology the way it is, the band that we are, and realistic goals about what we need to live comfortably, it's a real possibility - especially if I'm able to work in a little writing success, as well. That's not too much to ask, is it - making a living doing what you love?

So, when I'm working this weekend and slaving away next week, working 16 hours days, mostly on my feet, dodging drama and meltdowns, I'll think about that. I'll remind myself that life is short and very, very long, and every day that I spend doing something else is a day I'm not spending doing what I love. And I'll see if I can't figure out a way to spend the rest of my days wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment