Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Monitors - who needs 'em?!

Just when you think you're gettin' all fancy pants with endorsements and stuff, you get knocked down a peg...by your own gear!

We had our monthly gig at Little Woodrow's in Bee Cave this past weekend, and in most regards, it was a good show. We were there early and had a relaxed, easy setup. It was hot, but the sun dropped behind the trees before we hit the stage, and there was a nice breeze, so the temperature was comfortable by go time. We had a good crowd with most of the tables full, and we were all healthy and ready to rock, which we did.

Unfortunately, though, in the second set, the "rock" part of things got a little difficult for Johnny.


While we were on break, I went on stage to look at something, and I heard a pop through the sound system. I wasn't sure what it was, so I shrugged it off - sort of like when I hear a strange noise in my car and I just turn up the radio. (Don't look at me like that.)

When we started back up, though, we discovered what the pop had been. Johnny's monitor had gone out.

Awwwwwwwesome.

So, Johnny spent the rest of the show doing his best to hear what he was playing through my and Joe's monitors, which were, of course, nowhere near his part of the stage. He gets huge props, because I've had to play before when I couldn't hear myself, and it really sucks. But he soldiered on, kicked butt, and the audience never knew.

In light of this development, this week's project was not collecting new fans from generous media exposure or lining up new business agreements, but replacing the dead speaker in time for our TWO gigs this weekend:

I wouldn't want to end on a downer note, though, so let's take a moment to give it up for our Super-Duper Fan of the Show from Saturday. He was no Ben, The Dance Machine, but this guy channeled his inner Madonna and vogued for our camera, so for that, we honor him:



Yeah, man. Let your body move to the music. Let your body go with the flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment