Saturday, June 2, 2012

Live Music Fan 101

We had a fantastic CD release show last night, and I'd like to start this post by thanking everyone who came, who rocked and who bought our EP. In fact, a big thank you to everyone has bought "Sex & Coffee" - we're getting some great feedback! (If you haven't gotten your copy yet, you can remedy that at CD Baby, iTunes or our website, TheStaylyns.com.)

Speaking of feedback, it came to my attention last night that not every live music fan knows the proper etiquette for addressing members of a band when at a show. So, as a public service, I thought I'd offer some pointers. This could be the first in a series, but we'll see what circumstances dictate.

First thing I should say is that bands love when the audience engages with them. There's nothing worse than looking out to the audience while you're playing your heart out and seeing (a) blank stares or (b) no one paying attention at all. Wait - I take that back. We've had people actually scowl at us, and that was worse. Strangely, they told us later that they liked us, so presumably they didn't know they were scowling, but it was a buzz kill during the show.

So, smile, dance, tap your toe and sing along - we love that!

If you want to actually talk to us, that's good, too, provided you follow one simple rule: wait until the show is over, we're on a break or, at a bare minimum, we're in between songs. In case that's too ambiguous, I'll say it another way: Please don't come up to the stage and try to talk to us during a song.

Some of you are asking if it's necessary to state such a rule - like I'm McDonald's, and I'm printing the word "HOT!" on a coffee cup like you're a moron. Well, it IS necessary...maybe not for you, but for the morons music fans out there who, believe it or not, don't know better - like, say, the guy last night who walked up to the stage and stood a foot from me then leaned in and started talking to me and asking questions TWICE in the middle of songs, while I was, you know, playing bass. And singing backup.

Apparently, he didn't realize I was busy.

In his defense, he was blotto drunk, which is often the case when people make etiquette mistakes, but it isn't the first time it's happened, so it seemed like something I should address. So, there ya go! Rule #1: When you want to talk to the band, wait until they are NOT in the middle of a song.

Now, you know.

1 comment:

  1. Some people just have to be informed about the rules (polite rules).....especially if they are drunk. Very disrupting to talk to them while playing.

    ReplyDelete